The Mighty Colorado River TV Documentary
Our rivers face serious, unprecedented threats. The Colorado River Headwaters Chapter of Trout Unlimited is working with Grand County TV18 to create a documentary series to communicate TU’s message of conservation, restoration, mitigation of damage caused by diversions and preservation to the widest possible audience. We want everyone to be aware of the threats to our rivers and environment and have access to as much information as possible.
Trans-basin diversions of water which originates west of the Continental Divide to the Front Range is having a stunning impact on the environment, yet many people are simply unaware of the facts. They don’t know where their water comes from. Those who have some awareness don’t know what to do about it. TU believes this series is an effective way to narrow this “knowledge gap”.
Grand County TV18 is currently airing the documentary series and is adding more episodes as funding permits. You can watch the series on Comcast channel 18 in Grand County and streaming live on the internet at http://grandcountytelevision.com/ The show airs daily at 8:30 AM, 12:30 PM and 6:00 PM. There is already lots of good information included with more on the way!
Material for several new episodes has already been filmed and is currently in the editing stages. More filming will take place as scheduling, weather and funding permits. At TU, we believe litigation is too expensive, legislation is too slow and education is the key. We know we don’t have the same resources and funding that are available to the Front Range water users, but we want to do all we can to save the Fraser, the Colorado and our broader environment.
TU needs your help in funding this educational project. Here are some concrete things you should do to help:
· Become a sponsor or underwriter of the show. Support this just like you support PBS, NPR or your favorite charity. TU is a 501 (c) 3 so your contribution to TU may be tax deductable.
· Advertise on the show. Will your business’ target audience watch a show associated with Trout Unlimited?
· If you can’t personally support the show financially, tell the show’s advertisers and underwriters that you appreciate their support.
· Watch the show and encourage others to watch as well. Spread the word. Pass the link to anyone out of the area.
· Respond to our calls to action. Write letters to the editor and your representatives.
· Keep watching our website. We strive to keep current information available.